If you’re checking out this page then chances are, you’re here to learn more about product management and learn how to break into a product role.
You might have had a few questions at the top of your mind such as:
- How am I supposed to break into product management without any prior experience?
- I come from a totally different / non-related industry; is it still possible to get any interviews or even land a product manager job?
- I like my company, but I’m tired of my role so how do I transition internally into a product role?
- I somehow got a product role but I have no idea what I’m doing. How do I become a better product manager?
If any of the above questions / doubts resonate with you, have no fear! I was in a very similar place as you a few years ago when I was working in finance and wanted to transition into product management. I spent months reading scattered resources all around the web and talking with countless PMs before I managed to land my first few interviews and eventually my first product management offer. After I transitioned into my product role, I got a ton of inbound cold e-mails asking about my transition and I realized that many people were going through a very similar process that I had to struggle through.
Before you get started, I would highly recommend you subscribe to get a free copy of our 60-page PM Handbook as well as our mega-popular weekly newsletter featuring the latest top product articles. No peer pressure but thousands of other passionate product people from around the world have already done the same 😉 . See you on the flip side, my friend.
Join 15,000+ Product People and Get a Free Copy of The PM Handbook and our Weekly Product Reads Newsletter
Subscribe to get:
- A free copy of the PM Handbook (60-page handbook featuring in-depth interviews with product managers at Google, Facebook, Twitter, and more)
- Weekly Product Reads (curated newsletter of weekly top product reads)
Below are a few of our most popular articles to get you started. After checking them out, if you’re serious about breaking into product management or becoming a better PM, check out our One Week Product Manager course or our PM community.
About Product Management:
- What is a Product Manager?
- Day in the Life of a Product Manager
- Product Manager vs. Project Manager
- Product Manager vs. Product Marketing Manager
- Who does a Product Manager Work With?
- Do Product Managers Need a Technical Background?
- Should You be a Product Manager?
Product Management Recruiting / Interviewing:
- How to Get a Job as a Product Manager
- Product Manager Interview: The Product Design Question
- Product Manager Interview: The Favorite Product Question
- Product Manager Interview: Create a New Product
- Product Manager Interview: Prioritization Question
On the Job:
- Top 5 steps to Ramping up as a New Product Manager
- What is a Product Roadmap?
- What is the Waterfall Methodology?
- What is the Agile Methodology?
- What is a Wireframe?
- Maintaining a Product After Launch
- An Introduction to the Minimum Viable Product (MVP)
- 6 Types of Products That PMs Manage
- Agile Estimation: Sizing Stories
- How to Work with Stakeholders as a PM
Interviews with Product Leaders:
- Interview with Jen Granito Ruffner (VP Product at Kifi)
- Interview with Justin Watt (PM at Metalab)
- Interview with Christina Wodtke (Former GM at Zynga & Myspace)
- Interview with Paul Rosania (Product at Slack)
- Interview with Ken Norton (Product Partner at Google Ventures)
- Interview with Punit Soni (Former CPO of Flipkart & Advisor to Google)
- Interview with Brandon Chu (Sr. PM at Shopify)
- Interview with Fernando Delgado (Former Sr. Director of Product at Yahoo, Co-Founder Yahoo’s APM Program)
- Interview with Ellen Chisa (VP Product at Lola)
- Interview with David Cancel (CEO at Drift)